Return to homepage
|Sheffield Mencap and Gateway
Sheffield Mencap and Gateway is a local charity which supports adults and children with learning disabilities in Sheffield to achieve their full potential and to live happy and healthy lives. The service provides accredited and non-accredited educational courses and meaningful daytime opportunities for adults with a learning disability. They also offer support and information to family carers as well as evening social clubs and weekend activities. Sheffield Mencap have Recognised Provider Status (RPL) Day Opportunities and Learning Opportunities (see separate entries), but not for their support planning service.|
Daytime opportunities include:
• Education - Life skills and Skills for Working Life
• Creative writing
• Art and crafts
Sessions run 5 days a week and for 45 weeks a year. Some services and projects run 7 days a week, please contact for more details on days and times. Also runs an advocacy group which draws attention to important topics such as transport, health etc. Holds evening learning programmes.
• Sheffield Mencap and Gateway also run the Out and About Scheme which support adults with a learning disability to access social opportunities in the local community. Activities include bowling, cinema trips, going out for meals and snooker.
• Mencap has a new database called "My Days" which intends to link up people with learning disabilities who have shared interests and live in the same area. This website will enable Mencap to respond to unmet needs so as to provide activities that are not currently provided if there is demand to host the activity or pass on to another provider with the capacity to offer the service. This will also help to link up people to share transport and thereby cut their costs
• The service also offers trained support planners to work with you to plan your support and a create a Support Plan (see separate entry).
• Days sessions are charged at a rate of £40 per full day and £20 per half day.
• Evening sessions cost £10 per session and Gateway clubs cost £2 per evening (an annual membership of £5 is also required for Gateway clubs).
• Out and About sessions £40
These prices are supplied by Sheffield Mencap and Gateway, please check them yourself for accuracy.
Please visit the website for more information and news about upcoming events. Sheffield Mencap accept self referrals or referrals from other organisations.
Qualifications & Quality Standards:
All staff and volunteers are fully CRB checked. Sheffield Mencap and Gateway has full Public and Employers Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance.
Company limited by guarantee 3168775.
| Languages: British Sign Language, Makaton, Punjabi, Urdu
| Publications: Annual Report
| Charity Number: 1056155