Return to homepage
|Freeman College (Ruskin Mill Trust)
| Ruskin Mill Educational Trust
Part of Ruskin Mill Educational Trust, a national organisation that works with young people aged 16-25 years who have learning development delay problems (learning disabilities) such as Aspergers, Autism and ADHD. Also works with people with mental health issues and long term health conditions. |
Students follow the three-year Integrated Learning for Living and Work Programme, a bespoke vocational timetable designed around their particular needs, talents and aspirations. For 3rd year students, this will usually incorporate work experience and/or study at local mainstream colleges, in preparation for life after college.
Residential provision is likewise tailored to individual needs and abilities, but typically evolves from a family-based model in the1st year to more independent arrangements in the 3rd.
Offers a practical craft curriculum including:
• metalwork (e.g. jewellery making, spoonmaking, pewter and copperwork)
• landwork (e.g. drystone walling and animal care).
Has a large drama department and offers "Skills for Life" to develop basic literacy and numeracy skills.
Can help students with employment support including:
Preparing for Work
• Information, advice & guidance
• Help to build self-confidence & self-esteem
• Help with practical issues eg travel, childcare and housing support
• Help being part of your community
• Help with communication
• Debt, money management & benefits advice
• Life skills
Training & Qualifications
• Literacy & numeracy qualifications
• Vocational courses, accredited training & qualifications
• IT skills & training
Work Experience and Volunteering
• Volunteering opportunities
• Work tasters
• Work experience
• Work placements
Finding and Applying for Jobs
• CV/Application form support
• Support to apply for jobs
• Interview techniques
• Support at interview
• Support into self-employment
In Work Support
Mentoring & buddying
A registered charity.
| Publications: Magazine
| Charity Number: 1137167